Friday 24 September 2010

Homosexuals Are Possesed By Demons... Apparantly.

Today, I was editing a short story about gay adoption. I tend to steer clear of writing about homosexuals and homosexual issues, I feel it prohibits me and puts me into one box. On occasion though, as it is quite a large part of my life, I do.

I was googling some things out of research to make the story believable and layered. I inadvertantly stumbled across this picture of a young boy's funeral.


It sickens me that a protest of this nature would happen at all, but at a funeral... I feel for the boy's family, I can only imagine unncecessary untold ammounts of stress and grief must have been caused. I feel lost for words, I was aware that these things were happening but these images really inforce the gravity of the situation in some areas of the world.




Of all the pictures, there was only one I could respect and show tolerance towards. As much as I disagree, obviously, I am a strong believer of freedom of speech. This woman appears to be protesting out of genuine worry, isn't intending to offend, and just wants to voice her opinion. In an ideal world I would wish for world wide acceptance and tolerance, but this isn't an ideal world.


All of these pictures deeply disturb me and are greatly upsetting. The top picture especially makes my heart wretch. But where this is bad, there is always good.


I don't know what to say. All I can do is be grateful I live in a community where homosexuality is generally accepted. I have felt no serious persecution and have felt free to be who I want to be. I have the freedom to write about my experiences as a gay man, I am grateful for that.

2 comments:

  1. Calum, i was interviewed on BBC Radio Derby a couple of years ago discussing the issue of Gay Adoption with a catholic priest and we took a call from a lady with a strong Jamacan accent who said something about how children shouldnt be brought up in that kind of home...the usual stuff, but what sticks in my mind is the way she kept saying, almost chanting "its wrong, it's wrong, it's wrong, it's wrong"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children don't need a Mum and Dad, plenty of kids from single parent families turn out fine. As long as they're loved, that's all they need.

    ReplyDelete